Creamy Lemon Squares offer a perfect blend of tangy lemon and sweet, creamy filling, cradled in a buttery graham cracker crust. This delectable treat harmonizes the zest of fresh lemons with the richness of condensed milk, creating a dessert that’s both refreshing and satisfying. Ideal for any season, these squares are a hit at summer picnics and cozy winter gatherings alike. Their bright flavor brings a burst of sunshine to any table, making them a beloved choice for family dinners, festive celebrations, or just a sweet indulgence at home. Let’s dive into this easy-to-follow recipe that guarantees a delicious outcome every time!
For the crust:
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 24 squares graham crackers
- ¼ cup of sugar
For the lemon filling:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup of lemon juice
Directions & How to Prepare
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving overhang for easy removal.
- Make the crust: In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers into fine crumbs. Add sugar and melted butter, pulsing until combined. Press this mixture firmly into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of your pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Let it cool.
- Prepare the filling: Whisk condensed milk and egg yolks until smooth. Add lemon juice, continuing to whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Assemble: Pour the lemon filling over the cooled crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the filling is set.
- Cool: Let the squares cool in the pan, then chill in the refrigerator for firmer texture.
- Serve: Lift the squares out using the parchment paper, cut into desired sizes, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-32 minutes
- Chill Time: At least 1 hour
- Total Time: Approximately 1 hour 50 minutes
- Makes 16 mini squares or 9 larger squares.
- Can I use bottled lemon juice? Fresh lemon juice is preferred for its vibrant flavor, but bottled can be used in a pinch.
- How long do they last in the fridge? They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Can I freeze Creamy Lemon Squares? Yes, they freeze well for up to a month.
- Is there a dairy-free alternative? Try using coconut condensed milk for a dairy-free version.
- Can I make the crust without a food processor? Absolutely! Place the crackers in a zip-lock bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
Creamy Lemon Squares are a delightful blend of sweet and tangy flavors, wrapped in a texture that’s both creamy and crunchy. This recipe simplifies the process, making it accessible to bakers of all levels. Whether you’re an experienced cook or trying your hand at baking for the first time, these lemon squares are sure to impress. Remember to use fresh lemon juice for that extra zing, and enjoy the smiles these little squares bring to your table. Happy baking and indulging in this zesty, creamy treat!