Imagine a dish that combines the creamy richness of a well-made sauce with the comforting, earthy essence of potatoes. That’s what you get with these Scrumptious Scalloped Potatoes – a dish that promises to steal the show at any dinner table. Perfectly layered slices of potato, smothered in a silky, cheesy sauce, baked to a golden perfection – this recipe is a culinary hug that speaks directly to the soul. Whether it’s a festive holiday dinner, a family gathering, or just a regular weeknight, these scalloped potatoes are sure to impress.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds white potatoes, sliced about ⅛” thick
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 350˚F.
4. How to Prepare
- Melt butter in a pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic, cooking until the onion softens (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Gradually whisk in combined milk and broth, adding a little at a time to thicken. Continue until the mixture is smooth.
- Increase heat to medium, bringing the sauce to a boil while whisking. Add salt and pepper. Let it boil for 1 minute.
- Grease a 9″x13″ baking dish.
- Layer ⅓ of the potatoes at the bottom, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour ⅓ of the sauce over the potatoes.
- Repeat layers, ending with the sauce.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Then, uncover and bake for another 35-45 minutes until golden brown and tender. Broil for 3-4 minutes for a golden top.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes before serving.
5. Preparation Time
- Prepping: 20 minutes
- Cooking: 80-90 minutes
- Total Time: Approximately 1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hours
This recipe yields 8 generous servings.
Q: Can I make this dish ahead of time? A: Absolutely! Prepare it up to the baking step, cover, and refrigerate. Bake when ready to serve.
Q: What type of potatoes works best for scalloped potatoes? A: White or Yukon Gold potatoes are ideal for their texture and ability to absorb the sauce.
Q: Can I add cheese to this recipe? A: Yes, you can sprinkle each potato layer with your favorite grated cheese for added richness.
Q: How do I know when the potatoes are done? A: The potatoes are done when they are tender and the top is golden brown.
Q: Can I use a different type of milk? A: Yes, you can use any type of milk, but whole milk gives the creamiest result.
In summary, these Scalloped Potatoes are more than just a side dish; they’re a celebration of simple ingredients coming together to create something extraordinarily delicious. They’re the perfect accompaniment to a wide range of main courses, bringing comfort and warmth to your dining table. Whether you’re cooking for a special occasion or just looking to add a touch of gourmet to your everyday meals, this recipe is sure to become a beloved staple in your culinary repertoire. Bon appétit!