Craving that irresistible, crunchy, and flavorful KFC chicken but want to try making it at home? You’re in luck! Today, we’re diving into the world of homemade KFC Original Style Chicken. This recipe brings the iconic taste of KFC right to your kitchen, ensuring every bite is packed with the perfect blend of spices and crispiness. Not only is this recipe a fun culinary adventure, but it also allows you to control the ingredients, ensuring a fresher and possibly healthier version of this beloved fast-food favorite. Let’s get started on this journey to recreate a fast-food legend at home!
- 8 chicken thighs
- 500 ml milk
- 300 g flour
- 1 tablespoon each of oregano, paprika, curry, onion powder, garlic powder
- An additional 1/2 teaspoon of the above spices
- An extra 100g flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Tempura Preparation: Combine 300g flour, spices, and a pinch of salt in a wide container. Gradually add 350-400 ml milk, adjusting the amount based on the flour type. Aim for a liquefied yet thick batter.
- Macerating Chicken: Coat chicken thighs in the tempura and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Outer Batter: Mix 100g flour with 1/2 teaspoon of each spice.
- Battering: Coat the tempura-soaked chicken in the flour-spice mixture.
- Frying: Fry the chicken in hot oil until golden and cooked through, approximately 10 minutes.
How to Prepare
The key to perfectly crispy and flavorful KFC-style chicken lies in the preparation of the tempura and the outer batter. Ensure each chicken piece is evenly coated in the tempura and then the flour-spice mix for that signature crunch. Fry in moderately hot oil to achieve a golden exterior without undercooking the inside.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Maceration Time: 1 hour (minimum)
- Cook Time: 10 minutes per batch
- Total Time: Approximately 1 hour 25 minutes
This recipe serves 4-6 people, making it perfect for family dinners or small gatherings.
Q: Can I use chicken breasts instead of thighs? A: Absolutely! Chicken breasts can be used, but adjust cooking times as they cook faster than thighs.
Q: Is it necessary to let the chicken marinate for an hour? A: Marinating for at least an hour enhances flavor absorption, but if short on time, a minimum of 30 minutes can work.
Q: Can I bake this chicken instead of frying? A: Yes, baking is an option. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for about 20-25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Q: What oil is best for frying? A: Use oils with a high smoke point like canola or vegetable oil for optimal results.
Q: How do I know when the chicken is fully cooked? A: The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C) and the juices run clear.
Recreating KFC Original Style Chicken at home is not just about satisfying your cravings; it’s about taking a beloved classic and making it your own. This recipe, with its perfect blend of spices and crunchy texture, will leave your family and friends in awe of your culinary skills. The joy of cooking from scratch, the aroma of spices blending in your kitchen, and the first bite of that crispy, juicy chicken will make this homemade adventure worth every minute. Happy cooking and enjoy your homemade KFC masterpiece!