1. Introduction The New York Cheesecake is more than just a dessert; it’s a culinary icon. With its rich, creamy texture and subtle blend of flavors, this cheesecake is a testament to simplicity and sophistication. Originating from the busy streets of New York, this dessert has won hearts worldwide. The recipe I’m sharing retains the classic essence but adds a hint of lemon to elevate the taste. Perfect for any occasion, this New York Cheesecake will be the highlight of your dining table.
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sour cream, room temperature
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
3. Directions Begin by generously buttering the inside of a 10-inch springform pan. Wrap it with a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil to prevent water from seeping in during the baking process.
4. How to Prepare
- Preheat your oven to 300* Fahrenheit and position the baking rack in the center.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sour cream until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter until smooth, then add to the egg mixture.
- Incorporate the sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, lemon juice, and zest, beating thoroughly for about 2 minutes.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared pan and place it in a larger pan, filled halfway with hot water.
5. Preparation Time
- Total time: Approximately 6 hours 15 minutes (including cooling and chilling)
- Active preparation: 30 minutes
- Baking: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Cooling: 4 hours (best chilled overnight)
6. Servings This recipe yields one 10-inch cheesecake, serving approximately 12 people.
7. FAQs Q1: Can I make this cheesecake without a springform pan? A1: Yes, but a springform pan is recommended for easy removal. Q2: How do I know when the cheesecake is done? A2: A knife inserted in the center should come out clean. Q3: Can I use low-fat ingredients? A3: Yes, but the texture and flavor may vary. Q4: How long can I store the cheesecake? A4: Up to 7 days in the refrigerator. Q5: Can this cheesecake be frozen? A5: Yes, wrap tightly and freeze for up to 2 months.
8. Conclusion Creating the perfect New York Cheesecake is a journey worth taking. This recipe is a tribute to the timeless classic, promising a dessert that’s as delicious to eat as it is delightful to present. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a beginner, this cheesecake is bound to impress. Enjoy the creamy, rich texture and the subtle zest of lemon in every bite. Remember, the key is in the patience of letting it chill to achieve the perfect consistency. Happy baking!