Welcome to the delightful world of baking where tangy meets sweet in our Creamy Lemon Squares recipe! Imagine the zesty aroma of fresh lemons combined with a buttery, crumbly crust, creating a perfect balance of flavors. These squares are not just a dessert; they are a vibrant celebration of citrus and sweetness. Ideal for summer picnics, afternoon teas, or as a comforting treat, these lemon squares promise to brighten your day. Let’s embark on this culinary journey and bring some lemony sunshine to your table!
For the crust:
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 24 squares graham crackers
- ¼ cup of sugar
For the lemon filling:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup of lemon juice
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Prepare an 8-inch square baking pan by buttering it and lining it with parchment paper. This allows for easy removal of the lemon squares later.
4. How to Prepare
For the crust:
- Break the graham crackers into smaller pieces.
- In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers until crumbled.
- Add sugar and melted butter to the crumbs, and pulse again until well combined.
- Press this mixture firmly into the bottom and slightly up the sides of your prepared pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned, then allow it to cool.
For the filling:
- In a bowl, whisk together condensed milk and egg yolks until smooth.
- Gradually add in the lemon juice, continuing to whisk.
- Once the crust is cool, pour the lemon filling over it.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the filling is set.
- Allow to cool completely, then refrigerate for a firmer texture.
5. Preparation Time
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Bake time: 25-32 minutes
- Cooling time: 1 hour (minimum)
This recipe yields either 16 mini squares or 9 larger squares.
Q: Can I use bottled lemon juice? A: Fresh lemon juice is recommended for the best flavor, but bottled can be used in a pinch.
Q: How long do these lemon squares keep? A: They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Q: Can I freeze lemon squares? A: Yes, they freeze well. Wrap them tightly and freeze for up to 3 months.
Q: Is it necessary to use a food processor for the crust? A: A food processor makes it easier, but you can also use a rolling pin to crush the crackers.
Q: Can I make this gluten-free? A: Absolutely! Just use gluten-free graham crackers.
Our journey into the delightful world of Creamy Lemon Squares ends here, but the joy they bring continues with every bite. These squares, with their tangy lemon filling and buttery crust, are a testament to the beauty of simple ingredients coming together to create something extraordinary. Whether you’re sharing them with loved ones or savoring them alone, these lemon squares are sure to leave a lasting impression. Happy baking and enjoy your zesty treat!