Cheesecake lovers, rejoice! We’re bringing back a classic favorite – the Woolworth Cheesecake. This delightful dessert, popularized by the iconic Woolworth’s lunch counters, is known for its creamy texture and lemony zest. It’s a perfect blend of nostalgia and deliciousness, making it a hit at family gatherings, parties, or just a quiet night in. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through each step, ensuring your Woolworth Cheesecake turns out just as scrumptious as you remember.
- 1 3oz packet of lemon Jell-O
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs (extra for thicker crust)
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 8oz cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 can evaporated milk, well chilled or 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
3. & 4. Directions & How to Prepare
- Begin by dissolving the lemon Jell-O in boiling water. Allow it to cool until it’s slightly thickened.
- In a bowl, mix 3/4 of the graham cracker crumbs with melted butter until well combined. Press this mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan to form the crust. Reserve the remaining crumbs for topping.
- Whip the evaporated milk or heavy cream until it becomes fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese with sugar and lemon juice until the mixture is smooth.
- Gradually add the thickened Jell-O to the cream cheese mixture, mixing slowly.
- Fold in the whipped milk or cream gently.
- Spread this filling over your prepared crust. Sprinkle the top with the reserved graham cracker crumbs.
- Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 2 hours, or overnight for best results.
5. Preparation Time
- Total Time: Approximately 2.5 hours (includes chilling time)
- This recipe serves up to 12 people.
- Q: Can I use fresh whipped cream instead of evaporated milk?
- A: Absolutely! Fresh whipped cream makes a great substitute and adds a richer flavor.
- Q: How long can I store the cheesecake in the refrigerator?
- A: The cheesecake can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Q: Can I freeze Woolworth Cheesecake?
- A: Yes, it freezes well. Just wrap it tightly and it can be stored frozen for up to a month.
- Q: Is there a substitute for lemon juice?
- A: Lime juice or orange juice can be used for a different citrus twist.
- Q: Can I make a gluten-free version?
- A: Yes, simply use gluten-free graham crackers for the crust.
Creating this Woolworth Cheesecake not only brings a slice of nostalgia to your table but also offers the joy of sharing a sweet, creamy, and tangy dessert with loved ones. Whether it’s for a special occasion or a regular day, this cheesecake promises to be a crowd-pleaser. Its ease of preparation makes it ideal for both novice and experienced bakers. So, gather your ingredients and take a delicious trip down memory lane with this classic Woolworth Cheesecake!