There’s something undeniably special about old-fashioned pancakes. They remind us of cozy mornings, family gatherings, and the warm, loving hands of our grandmothers. In this recipe, we’re going to recreate that magical experience. These pancakes aren’t just a breakfast item; they’re a trip down memory lane, infused with the sweetness of nostalgia and the simplicity of home cooking. Perfectly fluffy, slightly sweet, and wonderfully comforting, these pancakes are about to become a staple in your kitchen.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Cooking spray
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk in the melted butter, egg, and milk until the batter is well combined.
- Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes; this is the secret to fluffy pancakes.
How to Prepare
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake into the hot skillet.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until bubbles form on the surface, then flip and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes per batch
- Total time: Approximately 30 minutes for 12 pancakes
- Makes 12 pancakes, serving around 4-6 people.
- Can I use whole wheat flour? Yes, for a healthier option, you can substitute half of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
- How do I know when to flip the pancakes? When bubbles appear on the surface and the edges look set, it’s time to flip.
- Can I add fruits or nuts to the batter? Absolutely! Blueberries, sliced bananas, or chopped nuts can be added for extra flavor.
- How can I keep pancakes warm? Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet in an oven preheated to 200°F.
- Can this batter be made ahead of time? Yes, you can refrigerate the batter overnight, just give it a gentle stir before using.
Making these old-fashioned pancakes isn’t just about cooking; it’s about reviving a piece of history, a slice of childhood, and those irreplaceable family moments. Whether you’re preparing a Sunday brunch or simply craving comfort food, these pancakes will fill your kitchen with delightful aromas and your heart with warmth. Remember, each pancake isn’t just a breakfast item; it’s a story, a memory, and a tradition passed down through generations. So, heat up your skillet and let the magic of grandma’s kitchen come to life!